Thursday, October 09, 2008

Life in Nizh

Lee and I in some type of Russian hats... Ha!

Hello!  All is well in Nizhnevartovsk :)  The kids are adjusted to school, and enjoy playing with their friends.  Paul is speaking more russian now, and Emma even translates for me :)  I have been going to the gym, cooking and learning to make russian food with Yulya, and lately trying to get over a cold.  


Yulya, Sveta, and I



A good friend of ours, Ksenia, just moved from Nizh to Toronto.  We had a party for her at Lemon, which was lots of fun, and then sent her off to Canada 3 days later.  She is missed, but i am having fun hearing about her adventures :)

Here is a pic of Ksenia and I:

Oh, by the way, I got in trouble at Podsulnuk on Sunday.... Podsulnuk (russian for sunflower...) is the biggest supermarket they have in town.  I would compare it to maybe a neighborhood walmart, with wine and liquor, of course.  Anyway, I went to get some potatoes, and i grabbed two pre-bagged bags.  Now, these are not marked, as you have to take everything like that (produce wise) to be weighed and stickered at a special counter.  Well, I watched the process, and got in line.  As I reached the weigh in counter, a cleaning lady approached as well.  She was talking to the weigher girl, and I handed one of my potato bags to the weigher girl.  As I did this, the dirt on the potatoes fell all over the counter... Well, the cleaning lady started "talking" and motioning to the dirt on the counter, and saying the word "packyet" which i know means sack.  So I assume I was in trouble for not putting the sack of potatoes in another sack so they would not dirty up the counter :)  Well, that is fine, and I said that I was sorry, that I didn't know, and the weigher girl was very nice and gave me a sack and said it was ok.  But I had yet another bag of potatoes, sans the sack..... but the weigher girl gave me one and all was well. :)  It's those kind of things that you don't know that make it funny and hard to live in another country.  Of course, now, i will ALWAYS put my produce in a sack..... and if I could of read the signs, maybe I wouldn't of gotten in trouble at all!  ha ha!  

No comments: